Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Taco Tuesday at Silver Iguana in Rochester, NY


       If you know me then you know that I am always looking for the latest and greatest in Tex-Mex food. I am obsessed with tacos; I could probably eat them everyday and be perfectly satisfied. The newest restaurant in Rochester, NY for tacos, which opened this past April, is also my newest favorite Taco Tuesday destination. I have visited twice already with plans to visit again soon. The location is fantastic as it is located at the corner of East Main Street and North Winton Road in the city, which means that there are a lot of new Lyft and Uber drivers around if you happen to consume one too many house margaritas!


       There is plenty of parking at the sides of the Silver Iguana and, also, plenty of seating options. While my friend and I typically prefer bar seating for a cozy eating atmosphere, there is outdoor and indoor tabletop seating available in addition. The restaurant decor has a very eclectic Tex-Mex vibe which makes you feel instantly transported to El Paso. Real horned animal skulls and sugar skulls decorate the walls and rough wooden accents give the place a real taco-shack vibe. While I wouldn't call Silver Iguana traditional Mexican food, it makes up for it in its homestyle taste and friendly atmosphere.


       When ordering on a Tuesday, be sure to ask for the special Taco Tuesday menu if it isn't already provided for you. The menu lists every variety of taco they serve at a special price just for that day. Each traditional taco is $3 with a variety of pork, chicken, bean, or ground beef on either a hard or soft shell. They also provide $6 house margaritas which are on tap (yes, you read that right), $2 cans of beer, a glorious $4 "walking taco" made with Fritos or Doritos, and a combo special for $10 which gives you a can of Tecate, a shot of nice tequila, and any choice of taco.


       A plate of chips and salsa is provided for you as an appetizer while you wait for your meal. Personally, my favorite order is a soft-shell taco with half bean and half beef, a walking taco with pork, and a couple of the house margs. The tacos are filled beautifully and are very soft to bite into and easy to handle in your hands as you eat them. The walking taco is simply genius for a restaurant to serve. The corn chips are so crunchy that it gives a new "pop" to what would otherwise be simple burrito bowl ingredients. And the kicker is: they serve it to you in the chip bag itself! Also, if you're a fan of spicy food, fear not. The Silver Iguana provides many choices of hot sauce to make your mouth and eyes water, including specialty sauces from local Rochester brand, Pepper Nutz.



       The margaritas are not too sweet and not too sour. The fun of watching bartenders shake the ingredients together is lost due to the margaritas coming from a skull-topped tap. However, each marg I've tried is as perfect and as fresh as the last and makes me feel like I'm on a tropical Latin American island. Every margarita is, of course, served with a cute lime wedge and the addition of a salted rim if you so choose.


       Be sure to ask for your tacos without sour cream if you are allergic or dislike it, as all of the tacos come fully loaded unless otherwise specified. Be sure to reiterate it, as well. The past couple of times I had gone, my friend, who is lactose intolerant, asked for his food without sour cream, but they left it on one of his tacos. Luckily, we rectified this by just scraping his sour cream onto my tacos instead, but it would have been better if they had done the order correctly. Overall, I am overwhelmingly satisfied with the Silver Iguana and it is now on my rotation of favorite Taco Tuesday haunts!

In addition to Tuesday, you can also get these special priced items any day of the week from 4pm until 6pm as well as from 10pm until 11pm. They are open Tuesday through Sunday until 2am. Be sure to follow them on their Facebook and Instagram for special events and new menu items. Thank you for reading my restaurant review, keep an eye out for more articles like this by following my Twitter or my Instagram for post updates!
All opinions and pictures are my own.

2 comments:

  1. You're very welcome! I'm a huge fan, I even recently bought a bottle of PepperNutz at the Pittsford Wegmans for home! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...