Thursday, July 13, 2017

The BEST Garbage Plate in Rochester, NY


       Nothing can compare to your first love. This phrase rings true when it comes to the signature dish of Rochester, NY, the Garbage Plate. The Garbage Plate can be made a variety of ways, but typically consists of either hamburgers or hot dogs, a choice of french or home fries, and macaroni salad slathered in beefy "hot sauce" and served with a roll. The job of concocting this plate is not yet complete; you need to mix everything together on the plate to create a magical whirlwind that will satisfy your every picnic food craving.



       Personally, I like to call Garbage Plates the poutine of Rochester. While a bit unhealthy, they go perfect after drinking a few beers or sitting outside by the Erie Canal. I traveled to Pittsford, NY to have what was my first-ever college Garbage Plate at a little grill stop called Hungry's Grill. Hungry's is located right in town on State St. next to, yes, a bar called Thirsty's, which also happens to be a really cute sports bar. Hungry's is quite a small establishment, and while they do have a counter to eat at and sometimes provide stools, it is more of an order-and-go type of place. I've seen people drinking at Thirsty's call in an order at Hungry's for pick up right next door.



       I put my typical order in at the front counter: cheeseburger, home fries, and mac salad with onions, mustard, and "hot sauce", and then I watched the fry cook for a bit. It amazed me how many people came in to pick up orders they had called in earlier. The place was a well-oiled machine and every order was freshly made and nicely packaged to go. It was a nice day, so I waited outside for a bit. There is a small bench area outdoors which I had my first "plate" at my freshman year of college. Before long, my order was ready and I grabbed my "plate" and headed for the nearby Erie canal to snag a picnic table.


       What I like particularly about Hungry's Garbage Plates over the original Nick Tahou's is the fact that Hungry's uses little to no cinnamon in their "hot sauce". Something about the sharp cinnamon flavor reminds me more of baked goods than picnic food and really puts me off to Nick Tahou's version. The simple, homemade flavor and the perfect proportions that Hungry's has in their take on the "plate" is simply something from the gods. And at $6.50 for a giant plate of comfort food, you really can't beat it. I usually end up bringing half home with me as they microwave great.


       Although I am a Syracuse, NY native, the Garbage Plate really brings me back to college and really makes me feel proud to call Rochester my current home. Even if you are just visiting, make sure you grab one (they are everywhere, trust me). I've also tried or have seen "plates" at Dogtown, Tom Wahl's, Jeremiah's Tavern, and, if you're looking for a healthier option, the Red Fern has a vegetarian "Compost Plate"! After you try one, you'll be sure to crave it when you've had a few beers or when you have the midnight-snack hunger pangs.

Hungry's is open Sunday until 9PM, Monday through Wednesday until 10PM, Thursday until 12PM, and Friday and Saturday until a staggering 1:30AM (how do they do it?) They serve plenty of different food on their menu aside from Garbage Plates, but if you're looking for something even more unique, I hear they have a Garbage Plate wrap, as well. While Hungry's is not located in the city, it is well worth the 15 minute trip to Pittsford, NY for a late night bite. Thank you for reading my restaurant review, keep an eye out for more articles like this by following my Twitter or my Instagram for post updates!
All opinions and pictures are my own.

4 comments:

  1. The garbage plate wrap is the apex of plate delivery methods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that it is something to behold! I am SO getting it on my next Hungry's run! :)

      Delete
  2. Try Chili Hots sometime. Theirs are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about them!! I will definitely try theirs out! Thank you so much. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...