Thursday, August 10, 2017

Nagle's Observance, the Hippest New Bar in Rochester, NY


       I have a deep, dark love for 1930's speakeasy style bars that are reminiscent of my personal favorite Rochester bar, the Daily Refresher. I am always on a wild hunt for another similar cozy and candle-lit cocktail location to sit and catch up with friends while sipping on palate-satisfying alcohol beverages that make me feel like I've gone back in time, listening to Satchmo playing live at a jazz club somewhere in NOLA. All of that jumble is just a long way of telling you that I've quite possibly found my new "digs", a bar off of Chestnut Street in the city called Nagle's Observance.



       As my friend and I made our way down Chestnut off of East Avenue, we peered down Euclid Street to see a very strange, modern art-covered entrance. At first, I had doubts that this was the correct address but, as we approached, we saw a standee with cute typography indicating that this was, in fact, the Nagle's Observance we were looking for. I, personally, loved the wall art on the building and, although looking deceptively like an art gallery, it gave the bar that extra edge I was hoping to see.


       I had long heard rumors of the bar's interesting design and was chomping at the bit to check it out; apparently they had a soft opening before their official grand opening this past Saturday during Park Ave Festival. The interior was decorated quite sparsely, similar to the humble beginnings of the now-beloved and lived-in Apogee Wine Bar on Park Avenue, which is to be expected from a new venue. The physical structure gave a very rustic and industrial vibe while being furnished with comfortable couches and soft, velveteen barstools. My friend and I ordered our drinks at the bar before eventually moving to the tempting sofa nearby.


       The menu was also quite concise, matching the minimalist feel I was getting. However, I am very down for a small menu, as long as it's done well. The menu provided old, comfortable favorites such as the classic Dark and Stormy or a good pint of the Rohrbach's Scotch Ale. In addition they included a more adventurous Jameson or tequila house cocktail, adding a little flair to the selection. The bartender kindly mentioned to us that he was very willing to make whatever we'd like outside of the menu, as well.


       I ended up deciding on the New York-area Original Stump Blower Ciderworks' "Cherry, Cherry, Why Ya Buggin'?" as I am a big advocate for tastefully flavored ciders. I recently tried the Shilling "Lumberjack" rhubarb-pear-flavored cider at the Refresher with much delight. I was elated that the cheerful bartender, Storm, let me sample the "Cherry, Cherry", and after having tried a sip I told him that I was happy to commit to a whole glass of the uniquely red beverage. My friend snagged a glass of the Rohrbach's himself. Because it was opening week, the bartender slipped us a promotional wooden chip which we could bring back again for a free beer, cider, or cocktail. I didn't need to be convinced, but now I definitely must make my return soon.


       My friend and I went on a weekday night but, from the looks of it, the place could easily be vivacious during the weekend. There appeared to be a stand for a DJ setup as well as one of those futuristic touch-screen jukeboxes as seen in many modern bars. Overall, I am excited to see how Nagle's Observance will grow being situated in a great spot in the hub of the East End, especially with the Fringe Festival drawing near. They boast being open 365 days of the year and will have a "rotating craft tap", which is already quite enticing. I can see them definitely expanding their drink menu and, with my own small, food-loving hope, perhaps adding a small snack selection, too.

I love the vibe of the place and already want to plan my next visit. Nagle's Observance is currently open Sunday through Wednesday until 12AM and Thursday through Saturday until 2AM. Follow them on their Instagram or Facebook pages for more info, and let me know below if you're thinking of checking it out, too! Thank you for reading my bar review, keep an eye out for more articles like this by following my Twitter or my Instagram for post updates!
All opinions and pictures are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...