Thursday, March 28, 2019

A Tropical Vacation at Peppa Pot in Downtown Rochester, NY


       It's finally spring - which doesn't mean much in Rochester, NY where it could snow well into April and sometimes May, as well. Colleges are back from their spring breaks and many people are planning their summer vacation ideas. Every single year I see dozens of people run away to the Caribbean, especially if they want that island getaway feel. I'm here to tell you that, if you aren't planning a Caribbean vacation this spring, you do not have to fear. The Peppa Pot Restaurant in the city of Rochester, NY is the perfect escape if you want to try some exotic food and feel drifted away to Margaritaville.


       I am a huge fan of rum drinks, and I miss the Havana Cabana every day that it's been gone - although Lanai is still fantastic, as well. So I knew that if I went to the Caribbean I would 100% go straight to Jamaica. I've always been fascinated with Jamaican drinks, food, and the Patois language - but I've only ever explored two of the three. I had yet to try Jamaican food and initially had no clue where to find it authentically here in Rochester - or anywhere, in fact. Peppa Pot has actually been in Rochester for a number of years now in the South Wedge on Gregory Street, but just recently at the end of 2018 opened a location in the Center City on East Main Street. After hearing excited talk about its expansion, that I knew I had to check out.


       Compared to the South Wedge's tinier storefront, the East Main Street location has plenty of places to sit and stretch your legs. While the Gregory Street location feels small and cozy, the downtown location feels more like a traditional night-out dining experience. Tropical, Jamaican-themed decor lines the walls and a cool, black-and-brick interior theme makes you feel like you're in a beach-side cabana instantly. As the story goes of Peppa Pot's opening, according to their website, the owner, Marlene Henry, began her love of cuisine from cooking for her family. Once her children grew up, she started the restaurant which, to her, never felt like a struggle. Her love of food truly shows in her recipes.

       I was initially nervous about what I would choose as my entree as I had never tried any sort of Caribbean food in the past. I did some light research before coming, even once consulting a Jamaican Lyft driver what his favorite dishes were. His response - Curry Goat. I thought I would do him a disservice if I didn't give it a shot, so that is what I ordered. The waitress was the absolute sweetest thing and gave the Curry Goat a great recommendation herself, which only solidified my decision. The two friends I went with each ordered the Jerk Chicken as well as the Pepper Steak dish. I had water to drink this time, as they do not have any alcohol there - but you may bring your own beer or wine if you wish. They do, however, have an array of Jamaican imported soft drinks and fresh juices available such as D&G Kola, Ting, and "Irie" Iced Tea. I definitely want to try one next time I come!



       Our food arrived in a very short time and everything looked drool-worthy. Each of our dishes came with sides such as cabbage, rice & beans, and fried plantains. Additionally, all of our dishes came with a Southern-style corn biscuit. I went with the plantains and rice & beans to go with my Curry Goat, which I would highly recommend. The plantains were so sweet they satisfied any need for a dessert, and the texture of them melted in your mouth. The rice and beans were outstanding - I love the way the fresh black bean flavor sinks into any dish you make with it. My friend really loved the fresh cabbage slaw with his sauce-slathered Jerk Chicken dish. However, hands-down the biscuit was the best stinkin' thing on everyone's plate. Absolutely no words - the biscuit stole the show. High remarks from both of my friends about their dishes. I was simply stunned at how much meat they gave each of us for the price, it was definitely worth it. We also really loved the hot sauce they had, Grace Foods' Hot Pepper Sauce; so much so that my friend and I actually bought some at the store to use at home!



       And finally - my review of the Curry Goat dish: Outstanding. The hint of curry flavor was just right, not overpowering nor tasting like an Asian or Indian curry dish. I love the way curry is used in so many cultures' cuisines and that all of them taste so unique. This one was no different. Additionally, the meat was served on the bone in the curry broth. Everything was super tender and juicy. The meat almost fell off the bone. The flavor was a bit similar to lamb, in fact. It had a bit of game taste to it, but in a very fresh way. And because it was eaten off the bone, it gave me a satisfyingly carnal feeling - the same feeling you get when you're eating a giant turkey leg at the Renaissance Fair. They had given us so much food that I ended up taking half of mine home - which I actually love doing. And, unsurprisingly, my dish warmed up beautifully the next day.

Overall, I would definitely suggest this restaurant, especially to those like me who had never tried Jamaican food before. Everyone there was so welcoming and made it easy to pick out something new to try. All three of our dishes were delicious, so I can only assume the entire menu is flawless. There is just something about food that you know had a lot of love put into making it. The Peppa Pot Restaurant is located at both 522 East Main Street in the Center City, and at 133 Gregory Street in the South Wedge. They are closed Mondays, but are open Tuesday through Saturday until 7:30pm and on Sunday until 6pm for lunch and dinner. Thank you for reading my restaurant review, keep an eye out for more articles like this by following my Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram for post updates!
All opinions and pictures are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...